Second in Charge of English
Mossbourne Victoria Park Academy
Salary: Teachers' Main Pay Scale, Mossbourne Allowance £1600, TLR 2C [£7,368]
Start date: 01/09/2023
Application closing date: 03/02/2023
Contract Type: Full-Time (Permanent)Apply now
|POSITION||Second in Charge of English|
|SALARY||Teachers’ Main Payscale, Mossbourne Allowance £1600, TLR / UPS|
|HOURS||40 hours per week|
|FULL TIME EQUIVALENT||Full Time, 52.143 weeks per annum|
|RESPONSIBLE TO||Vice Principal|
|LOCATION||Mossbourne Victoria Park Academy|
|KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS||SLT, ELT, Teaching Staff, Students and Parents|
Mossbourne is the realisation of Sir Clive Bourne’s dream to provide the children of Hackney with an outstanding education. Mossbourne is built on a formula of high expectations, doing the simple things right, and the belief that all children can succeed. All learners, regardless of ability, benefit from the innovative and enlightened approaches to teaching and learning. The Federation’s calm working atmosphere creates well-rounded individuals who excel in the arts, on the sporting field and academically.
The Mossbourne Federation consist of four academies: Mossbourne Community Academy (MCA) secondary and sixth form, Mossbourne Victoria Park Academy (MVPA) secondary, Mossbourne Parkside Academy (MPA) and Mossbourne Riverside Academy (MRA) both primary.
The Mossbourne Federation is actively seeking to increase the proportion of our workforce who come from diverse backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from people of Black, Asian and other minority ethnic descent. Injustice, discrimination and intolerance go against the core tenets of the Mossbourne ethos. We actively reject discrimination in our academies through continuous review of our working policies & practices across the federation, including at board level. We are committed to developing & supporting inclusivity, diversity & anti-racism in every facet of what we do.
Mossbourne Community Academy (MCA)
The Mossbourne Federation’s flagship academy, Mossbourne Community Academy (MCA) is built on high expectations and doing right by the pupils in our care in order for them to succeed. MCA has not only changed the face of education in Hackney, but has also raised the bar in educational expectations to the highest level; we achieve recognition nationally for setting a new benchmark for non-selective comprehensive education. All pupils, regardless of background or ability, are encouraged to achieve their true potential and the behaviour of our pupils is exemplary. With outstanding GCSE and A-level results, year on year, Mossbourne Community Academy is placed within the top 1% of schools in the country. We are tremendously proud that our most recent Ofsted Inspection, dated November 2021, judged the academy as ‘outstanding’ and starts with the sentence ‘Mossbourne Community Academy changes pupil’s lives for the better’ because that is what we do, year on year.
Mossbourne Victoria Parkside Academy (MVPA)
At Mossbourne Victoria Park Academy (MVPA) we continue to build on the Federation’s ethos of exceptional education for all our pupils. With learning at the heart of everything we do, MVPA continues to raise expectations and achievement in Hackney and its neighbouring boroughs, with the belief that all pupils can fulfil their true potential. The Curriculum Support Department (CSD) is made up of specialist teachers, a learning mentor, speech and language therapist, senior TA and classroom-based TAs. To support students’ academic, social and behavioural needs we offer an extensive range of interventions and work closely with the pastoral and curriculum teams to ensure that each student is able to reach their potential.
If you want to be part of the team that is improving the future of our students, then read on!
The English Department
The English department at Mossbourne is outstanding due to our highly knowledgeable and inspirational staff and hard-working and thoughtful students. We are in the top 2% of English departments in the country, which is testament to the huge amount of time and energy that goes into planning and delivering outstanding lessons and ensuring students engage with feedback. If you are similarly passionate about English and the challenge of ensuring all students fulfil their potential, then we would love to hear from you. Mossbourne is an extremely exciting place to teach English.
The Learning Area is very well resourced and comprises:
- Detailed and fully resourced Schemes of Learning.
- Rigorous monitoring and tracking systems to ensure progress for all students.
- Regular and personalised Professional Development for staff.
- Interactive equipment to maximise outstanding teaching and learning opportunities.
- Opportunities to promote reading/writing for pleasure and debating through trips and visits.
The successful applicant will be passionate about education. They will be well organised, energetic and willing to go the ‘extra mile’. They will be an outstanding English teacher. They will be instrumental in ensuring that outstanding teaching and learning is maintained in the department and will work closely with the Head of Learning Area to deliver this. They will share in the vision that educational excellence is for all and will be instrumental in not only maintaining the department’s high standards of teaching and learning, but will also be willing to play a significant role in developing the English Learning Area further.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Promoting and being committed to the Academy’s aims and objectives and implementing Academy policies
- To work with the Head of Learning Area (HOLA) and other staff members to ensure the effective provision of teaching and learning in English
- To liaise with the HOLA and other post holders regarding strategic planning, problem solving and other matters relating to the improvement of the department
- To be responsible for the ordering of stationery and textbooks and to manage the English stock cupboard
- If required, to be responsible for overseeing Key Stage 3 or Key Stage 4, including responsibility for curriculum development and resourcing
- To contribute to the development of Schemes of Learning
- To delegate to others in the department as necessary and to support the HOLA in co-ordinating and managing the team
- To act as a mentor for ECTs, trainee teachers and other members of the department as necessary
- To be a line manager for members of the department
- To plan and deliver high‐quality, differentiated lessons on a day‐to‐day basis
- To set homework in accordance with Learning Area policy and to mark work regularly to aid progression, keeping clear records of attainment and following up on non‐submission
- To keep abreast of developments in English and literacy teaching and pedagogy, ensuring that these changes are implemented in lesson delivery and schemes of learning
- To organise and run enrichment opportunities and to support interventions for students within English
- To model excellent teaching and learning in all lessons and to be available for observation by less experienced members of the department and members of the wider academy as part of their CPD
- To undertake duties as directed and in accordance with Academy expectations
- To supervise Prep
- To be a member of the pastoral team and, if required, a form tutor carrying out the associated responsibilities
- To comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job descriptio
Or D Desirable
|Task / Lesson|
|E||Ability to teach English to KS5||X||X|
|E||Knowledge and understanding of how students learn English||X||X||X|
|E||Ability to monitor and report student attainment across all Key Stages||X||X|
|Training, monitoring and mentoring NQTs and Schools Direct trainee teachers||X||X||X|
|E||Ability to observe colleagues on a regular basis and provide quality feedback, setting targets for improvement and follow up where appropriate||X||X|
|E||Ability to plan, develop and deliver training and INSET within the department||X||X|
|E||Capable of up skilling teachers on the use of data and how to use it effectively across the learning area||X||X|
|E||Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with teachers, support staff and parents||X||X|
|E||Ability to coordinate, oversee and contribute to the development of schemes of work liaising with the Key Stage Coordinators||X|
|E||Capable of supporting English Teachers in their drive to be outstanding||X||X||X|
|E||A good degree in the subject or a related subject||X||X|
|E||Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)||X|
|D||Strong working knowledge of the MS Office Applications||X|
|D||Ability to swiftly adapt to and utilise new/various systems / software||X|
|D||Effective & appropriate use of ICT in lessons & across Learning Area||X||X|
|E||Excellent communication skills||X||X|
|D||Strategic approach, ability to see the ‘big picture’||X|
|E||Commitment to meeting deadlines internally and externally ensuring output consistently is of an exemplary standard||X|
|E||The upmost integrity and high levels of motivation &commitment.||X|
|E||Proactive approach & efficient time management & prioritisation skills||X|
|E||Genuine interest & passion for the education of young people & the will to contribute to the wider life & community of the Federation||X||X|
|Applicable to all staff|
|E||Undertake training as required to fulfil the requirements of the role||X||X||X|
|E||Support Mossbourne’s efforts both verbally and non-verbally (i.e. Via actions and attitude), including adjusting performance and practice in accordance with Mossbourne’s initiatives and findings||X||X||X|
|E||Recognise your role as part of the succession of Mossbourne||X||X||X|
|E||Play an active role in terms of Safeguarding all students and adults||X||X||X|
Mossbourne Federation reserves the right to modify this job description to ensure the needs of the Federation & students are met. Mossbourne Federation provides equal employment opportunities to all employment applicants and employees without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or status. The document is not a comprehensive list; it simply outlines expectations of this role. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure. The post holder must be committed to safeguarding the welfare of children.